Walk with a Doc
Walk with a Doc is an international nonprofit organization started by Dr. David Sabgir, a cardiologist in Columbus, Ohio. Frustrated with his inability to affect behavior change in the clinical setting, Dr. Sabgir invited his patients to go for a walk with him in a local park on a spring Saturday morning. To his surprise, over 100 people showed up, energized and ready to move. What Happens During a Walk? People of all ages, fitness levels, and backgrounds are welcome to these free, ongoing events. After a brief health discussion from a healthcare provider, participants will spend the rest of the time enjoying a healthy walk at their own pace. They are encouraged to ask health questions and socialize with others in a fun, relaxed setting. Why Walk? Walking is one of the single most important things we can do four our health - it's good for your heart, brain, bones, lungs, muscles, joints, and even helps prevent cancer and other chronic diseases. See 100 reason to walk at walkwithadoc.org/why-walk.Join us on the 2nd & 4th Saturday of every month (no walk on April 22). View upcoming dates Lead Physician: Volney Willett, MD, Family Medicine Time: 9:00 am Location: West River Community Center (meet in the Lobby) Register: Learn more and register >> https://walkwithadoc.org/join-a-walk/locations/dickinson-north-dakota/
Who can join Walk with a Doc? Walkers and rollers of all ages, fitness levels, and backgrounds are welcome and encouraged to attend these ongoing, FREE events—no registration necessary.
Dickinson Walk Information
- 2nd & 4th Saturday
- 9:00 am
New Program! The only class that you can play with your food! Food Art is a fun way to try new foods and be creative with snacks for your littles. INSTRUCTIONS:
- Children must be accompanied by an adult or someone age 16+.
- Registration is required. Deadline is Tuesday prior to the class.
- Mar 15; Apr 19; May 17
- 2-5 yrs
- 4:00-5:00 pm
Mini Art Class
Children ages 2-5 will have the chance to increase their sensory and fine motor skills while getting messy! SPRING:
- Thursday, March 16 (4:00-5:00 pm)
- Thursday, April 20 (4:00-5:00 pm)
- Mondays - July 10-31 (10:00-11:00 am)
- Mar 16; Apr 20
Early Out Day Camp
West River Community Center is offering an EARLY DISMISSAL DAY CAMP for youth on the early release school days below. Youth have the opportunity to participate in a variety of supervised activities to keep youth entertained and active. These may include, but are not limited to arts and crafts, active games, swimming, tennis, climbing wall, yoga, basketball and a homework area. Youth will be assigned to a group by age and rotate to the activities offered that day. SESSIONS
- Friday, April 28, 2023
- Bring your own snack.
- Bring tennis shoes, towel, swim suit and wear comfortable clothing.
- Check-in and check-out will take place in the WRCC Community Center Community Room #1.
- Apr 28
- 1:30-5:30 pm
Come play at our "house!" We will have gross motor equipment, building blocks, jumping animals and toys set-up. Children can move about safely in our enclosed MAC gym area and have access to the indoor playground. Playtime music will be played and theme based crafts will be set-up for children.
- No pre-registration necessary.
- Cost is $4/drop-in fee or free with WRCC membership.
- Must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Mar 9; Apr 13; May 11
- 5 & under
Curling League (Winter)
Grab your friends and form your teams to compete in this competitive fun-filled league. Two seasons are offered, Fall and Winter. Get your registration in early – max of 16 teams! LEAGUE INFORMATION: Curling League Info & Rules - Winter 2022-2023 Curling League Schedule | Standings Tournament Brackets Questions? Contact Andrew Grafton, Facility Supervisor at 701-456-2074 or email [email protected]
- Dec 4-Feb 19
- Nov 29
Join us for Kids Fit at the West River Community Center! View more>> https://westrivercommunitycenter.com/activities/kids-fit/
- 3-5 yrs
- 9:15 am
Lifeguard Certification Courses
We will be conducting Lifeguard Certification, Re-Certification, and Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Courses on an as-needed basis. There will typically be one every month or every other month. If you would like to inquire about becoming a lifeguard or taking the courses please contact the Aquatics Facility Supervisor at 701-456-2074. See upcoming courses below.
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION COURSEThe purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Please sign up for either session. 2023 DATES:
- Feb 17-19
- Mar 24-26
- May 5-7
- May 19-21
- June 23-25
- Aug 25-27
- Nov 3-5
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a times event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
LIFEGUARD INSTRUCTOR TRAININGThe Lifeguard Instructor Course trains instructor candidates how to teach American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Shallow Water Lifeguarding, and Aquatic Attraction Lifeguarding, along with other optional modules. DATE: No courses currently scheduled TIMES: Friday 4-9 pm; Saturday-Sunday 8 am-8 pm COST: $250 (reimbursement will be offered to those hired with WRCC) CERTIFICATION: American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED with Waterpark Lifeguarding Module REGISTRATION: Register Online or call 701-456-2074 for more information. PREREQUISITES:
- Must be at least 17 years old.
- Possess a current American Red Cross certification in Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED
- Complete the online Lifeguard Instructor course through the ARC learning center before the first day of class. An email will be sent with instructions after registration.
- Pass two rescue skill scenarios that test lifeguarding and CPR (on the first day of class)
WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTION COURSE (WSI)The purpose of this instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach courses and presentations in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program including Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn-to-Swim, Adult Swim, Private Lessons, Water Safety Courses (including Safety Training for Swim Coaches) and Water Safety Presentations. 2023 DATES:
- Jan 28-29, Feb 4-5
- April 15-16, 22-23
- Jun 3-4, 10-11
- Sept 9-10, 16-17
- Be at least 16 years old on or before the last day of the Instructor Course
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills: Swim the following strokes consistent with the American Red Cross Level 4 standards – Front Crawl – 25 yards; Back Crawl – 25 yards; Breaststroke – 25 yards; Elementary Backstroke – 25 yards; Sidestroke – 25 yards; Butterfly – 15 yards
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
LIFEGUARD RE-CERTIFICATION COURSEThis course is designed to update your skills while also extending your certification for another two years. There are also courses for those whose certifications are still valid (or within 30 days of expiration) which allow them to continue working without having a lapse in certification. DATE: No courses currently scheduled TIME: 9:00 am-5:00 pm COST: $100.00 REGISTRATION: Register Online or Call 701-456-2074 for more information.
Kids Cooking Class
The Kids Cooking Class is designed to teach your children how to be independent in the kitchen while learning basic cooking skills and kitchen safety. Food made in class will be able to be brought home when finished. *Parents are encouraged to attend with their child. PAST CLASS RECIPES: Pizza Pockets Mini Fruit Pizza Candy Corn Sugar Cookies Chicken Alfredo Easy Meat Sauce French Toast Mini Taco Cups Monkey Muffins Pizza Pin Wheels | Instructions
- Mar 4; Apr 1; May 6
- 9:00-10:30 am
- 6-13 yrs
Facility Orientation Class
The purpose of this 30-minute course is to provide direction in safety, technique, and gym etiquette to youth members, along with anyone interested in learning more about the fitness equipment. Participants will learn how to properly use our cardio and strength machines and equipment from one of our certified personal trainers. Youth ages 12-13 will be able to use the fitness equipment without parental supervision after the successful completion of this class. For more information on fitness equipment and personal trainers, please visit westrivercommunitycenter.com
- Apr 19; Jun 21; Aug 23
- 4:00 – 4:30 pm