We will be conducting Lifeguard Certification, Re-Certification, and Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Courses on an as-needed basis. There will typically be one every month or every other month. If you would like to inquire about becoming a lifeguard or taking the courses please contact the Aquatics Facility Supervisor at 701-456-2074. See upcoming courses below.
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION COURSE
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Please sign up for either session.
DATE: November 4-6, 2022
TIMES: Friday 4-9 pm; Saturday-Sunday 8 am-8 pm
COST: $200 (reimbursement will be offered to those hired with WRCC)
CERTIFICATION: American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED with Waterpark Lifeguarding Module
REGISTRATION: Register Online or call 701-456-2074 for more information.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a times event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTION COURSE (WSI)
The purpose of this instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach courses and presentations in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program including Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn-to-Swim, Adult Swim, Private Lessons, Water Safety Courses (including Safety Training for Swim Coaches) and Water Safety Presentations.
DAY/TIME: Mon-Thurs, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
CERTIFICATION: American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Certification
REGISTRATION: Call 701-456-2074 for more information.
- Be at least 16 years old on or before the last day of the Instructor Course
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills: Swim the following strokes consistent with the American Red Cross Level 4 standards – Front Crawl – 25 yards; Back Crawl – 25 yards; Breaststroke – 25 yards; Elementary Backstroke – 25 yards; Sidestroke – 25 yards; Butterfly – 15 yards
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
LIFEGUARD RE-CERTIFICATION COURSE
This course is designed to update your skills while also extending your certification for another two years. There are also courses for those whose certifications are still valid (or within 30 days of expiration) which allow them to continue working without having a lapse in certification.
DATE: October 22, 2022
TIME: 9:00 am-5:00 pm
REGISTRATION: Register Online or Call 701-456-2074 for more information.