Grades 7-8 will have a chance to learn from the DSU Blue Hawks Volleyball Team. The focus will be to learn the basic fundamentals (passing, serving, spiking, and setting) from experienced college volleyball players. Game like situations and drills will also be incorporated. Program will be meet each Saturday at the West River Community Center. Register today!
Come play at our "house!" We will have gross motor equipment, building blocks, jumping animals and toys set up. Children can move about safely in our enclosed WRCC MAC gym area and have access to the indoor playground as well. Crafts will also be available.
- No pre-registration necessary.
- Pay drop-in fee when you arrive.
- Must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Grab your friends and form your teams to compete in this competitive fun-filled league. Two seasons are offered, Fall and Winter. Get your registration in early – max of 16 teams! WINTER LEAGUE INFORMATION: League Info & Rules - Winter 2021-2022 SCHEDULE | STANDINGS Curling League Schedule Standings Questions? Contact Andrew Grafton, Facility Supervisor at 701-456-2074 or email email@example.com
Dickinson Parks and Recreation offers theme based crafts for young children to make and take home! Children can be creative at 5 different craft stations to increase their fine motor skills, get messy and have fun. Each station may be completed at their own pace. An outside station on the patio will be set up depending on the weather. See you in class! REQUIREMENTS:
- Child must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Deadline is the Friday prior to class.
YAP (Youth Athletic Program) Volleyball is an introductory level program for youth with emphasis on skill development for Grades 3-6. Volleyball is a fun, active sport - register today! DATES: March 28-30 | April 4-27 (does not meet April 18) REGISTRATION: Register online below or at Dickinson Parks & Recreation Grades 3-4 (4:00-5:00 pm) Grades 5-6 (5:05-6:05 pm)
We will be conducting Lifeguard Certification, Re-Certification, and Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Courses on an as-needed basis. There will typically be one every month or every other month. If you would like to inquire about becoming a lifeguard or taking the courses please contact the Aquatics Facility Supervisor at 701-456-2074. See upcoming courses below.
LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION COURSEThe purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. Please sign up for either session. DATE: TBA TIMES: Friday 4-9 pm; Saturday-Sunday 8 am-8 pm COST: $200 (reimbursement will be offered to those hired with WRCC) CERTIFICATION: American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED with Waterpark Lifeguarding Module REGISTRATION: Register online or call 701-456-2074 for more information. PREREQUISITES:
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a times event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance underwater. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
LIFEGUARD RE-CERTIFICATION COURSEThis course is designed to update your skills while also extending your certification for another two years. There are also courses for those whose certifications are still valid (or within 30 days of expiration) which allow them to continue working without having a lapse in certification. DATE: TBA TIME: 9:00 am-5:00 pm COST: $100.00 REGISTRATION: Registration will be available online or call 701-456-2074 for more information.
WATER SAFETY INSTRUCTION COURSE (WSI)The purpose of this instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach courses and presentations in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program including Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn-to-Swim, Adult Swim, Private Lessons, Water Safety Courses (including Safety Training for Swim Coaches) and Water Safety Presentations. DATE: TBA (Must attend all 4 days) DAY/TIME: Sat & Sun, 8:00 am – 8:00 pm COST: $250.00 CERTIFICATION: American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Certification REGISTRATION: Registration will be available online or call 701-456-2074 for more information. PREREQUISITES:
- Be at least 16 years old on or before the last day of the Instructor Course
- Demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills: Swim the following strokes consistent with the American Red Cross Level 4 standards – Front Crawl – 25 yards; Back Crawl – 25 yards; Breaststroke – 25 yards; Elementary Backstroke – 25 yards; Sidestroke – 25 yards; Butterfly – 15 yards
- Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
- Tread water for 1 minute
We will introduce your child to a variety of activities from sports, to active games, fitness activities, and nutrition education. Each week there will be a different activity focus. Learn how to be a team player while building new athletic skills. REQUIREMENTS: Wear tennis shoes, comfortable active clothing (adaptable for weather). Bring a water bottle.
The Junior Racquetball Program held at the West River Community Center (WRCC) is designed to introduce your child to the game of racquetball. Participants will experience the basic fundamental skills while engaging in a non-competitive learning environment. Racquets will be provided. Racquetball is a fun sport for all ages! View more information about racquetball at WRCC. See you on the court!