The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding Course is to provide entry level lifeguard particpants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a times event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
(click on desired date to register)
COURSE DATES: July 28-30
TIME: Fri 1 pm - 7 pm; Sat & Sun 8 am - 6 pm
COST: $200 (reimbursement will be offered to those hired with WRCC)
CERTIFICATION: American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED with Waterpark Lifeguarding Module
REGISTRATION: Register online by clicking on links above or call 701-456-2074 for more information.
Lifeguard Recertification Course
This course is designed to update your skills while also extending your certification for another two years. There are also courses for those whose cerifications are still valid(or within 30 days of exp) which allow them to continue working without having a lapse in certification.
TIMES: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
LOCATION: West River Community Center
Water Safety Instructor Course
The purpose of this instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach courses and presentations in the American Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program including Parent and Child Aquatics, Preschool Aquatics, Learn-to Swim, Adult Swim, Private Lessons, Water Safety Courses (including Safety Training for Swim Coaches) and Water Safety Presentations.
1. Be at least 16 years old on or before the last day of the Instructor Course
2. Demonstrate the ability to perform the following swimming skills: Swim the following strokes consistent with the American Red Cross Level 4 standards - Front Crawl – 25 yards; Back Crawl – 25 yards; Breaststroke – 25 yards; Elementary Backstroke – 25 yards; Sidestroke – 25 yards; Butterfly – 15 yards
3. Maintain position on back for 1 minute in deep water (floating or sculling)
4. Tread water for 1 minute
TIMES: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm on the dates listed above. Must attend all days to be certified.
LOCATION: West River Community Center
General Registration Information:
Classes which require a minimum enrollment to be self-supporting will only be offered if the minimum number is enrolled by registration deadline (if not filled, refund will be given, SEE REFUND POLICY BELOW).
We accept cash, checks, and credit cards (MC, VI & DI).
Make checks payable to DPR.
When registering for a class, you must pay for the registration at that time.
No registration will be accepted at a program site.
We do not want to deny any child participation due to the inability to pay (contact the Parks and Recreation Office for details).
Dickinson Parks and Recreation is committed to providing equal access for all participants. All programs are open to individuals with disabilities. If special requirements are needed due to a disability, please include a written request with the registration form. Thank you.
A NO REFUND POLICY for those classes which have limited enrollment and are on a first come, first serve basis will be enforced (such as aquatics).
All programs with an unlimited enrollment - refunds will be allowed prior to the program beginning. No refunds will be given once the program has begun.